Cultural monuments

Cultural and historical heritage of Pasman Island is predominantly represented by sacral architecture testifying about the significance of religion and of the Holy Church for the island's population throughout the centuries. Every larger settlement has got its own parish church, while in some there are less accessary churches and chapels. Almost all religious buildings were built during the middle Ages and later rebuilt and restored. Only some churches have the elements of medieval construction.

Among sacral monuments of culture, two monasteries especially stand out: Franciscan Monastery of Saint Domnius in Kraj and the Benedictine Monastery of Saints Cosmas and Damian on Čokovac hill. A very interesting phenomenon is the Otus site, where in the Middle Ages was a mansion.

The Church of Saint Francis and the Franciscan Monastery of Saint Domnius (Kraj)

As one of the most recognizable cultural monuments of Pasman Island, the Monastery of Saint Domnius is located along with so named church in Kraj. The history of this complex is connected with the financial and real-estate donations of a noblewoman Pelegrine Grisogono from Zadar. Construction of the complex has had several phases. The church of Saint Francis was first built as a freestanding building in the Gothic style in the mid 1380s. Already in 1389, Peregrina donated the church along with the property and associated facilities to the Franciscans expelled from Bosnia. Three years later she donated them all remaining properties, all cattle and funds for the construction of monastery building of Saint Domnius. How this Franciscan monastery in the spiritual sense meant to Grisogono family but also to other members of Zadar's patrician oligarchy is witnessed by a large number of testamentary gifts, which makes it far ahead of other religious objects on the island of Pasman.

The church and the Benedictine Monastery of Saints Cosmas and Damian (Čokovac)

This monastery complex has a special importance for the cultural and historical heritage of the island of Pašman because it is directly linked to the medieval Croatian state and the ruler Petar Kresimir IV. It is situated in the south of the island, on Čokovac hill , 2 km northwest of Tkon settlement.
The Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian was first mentioned around 1070 when the Croatian King Petar Kresimir IV. granted the right on the church and surrounding properties to the monastery of Saint John Evangelistarum in Biograd. Next Croatian ruler, Dmitar Zvonimir also donated properties on Pasman to Biograd Benedictines. Several decades later, the Venetians in their warpath against the Croatian kingdom, destroyed Biograd town along with the Benedictine monastery. Benedictines have found a new shelter in Pašman, and in 1125 completed the construction of the new monastery in Čokovac. That the island of Pašman was a safe shelter for local residents, witnessed the event from 1202 when the church dignitaries and nobles of Zadar took refuge in Čokovac monastery on the run from the Venetians, who devastated the city of Zadar.
Monastery on Čokovac was being rebuilt during its past but much of the medieval elements remained. The monastery church has completely preserved its Gothic look, while the parts of the ancient porch and the surrounding wall also remained.

Otus site: a little church of Saint Anthony and the ruins of various buildings of secular purpose (Pašman)

Otus site is located in the south of the western coast of Pašman island. Otus is the example of preservation of the early onset of countryside culture in our regions. The mansion was bulit at the turn of the 14th to 15th century, and the owner and the main investor of construction was Zadar citizen Venturin Pacijev, originally from Cesena.
Venturin was obviously a big fan of the island. He had previously owned a smaller land holding in Otus, but he wanted a permanent habitation on the island in order to fully enjoy its advantages. We cannot say that we don't understand him. Finally, Venturini had managed to buy most of the cultivated land on Otus before 1399. Already during the same summer he began to achieve his dream - to build a summer house complex Otus. By all accounts, Venturin was very organized and tenacious because the works flowed peerless. His work has finally been rounded up in the early 15th century by building a church of Saint Anthony, along which, on the feast of so named saint, inhabitants of the island pilgrimage to the present.

The Church of Saint Michael the Archangel (Neviđane)

The Church of St. Michael is located less than 1 km southeast of Neviđane settlement. The church was first mentioned in 1018 year, when it was built by Prestancije, the bishop of Zadar. The bishop afterwards donated the church to the Franciscan Monastery of Saint Grisogono in Zadar.
Medieval elements have been preserved only to a lesser extent; the ravages of time and human interventions on this building, managed to survive the part of Gothic shrine built in the 14th century. Today it can be seen a relief of Saint Michael on the square board killing a dragon from hell by a sword on the gable of the church. Interesting are the remains of an early medieval stone accommodation (fragments similar to those ambos from Zadar cathedral stand out).

Parish Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus (Neviđane)

This single-nave church with sacristy serves as a parish church in Neviđane. It was built in 1899. For the hundreth anniversary of its construction it was completely restored.

Church of Our Lady of Health (Neviđane)

The church dates from the 17th century. It was built as a votive after the devastation of plague. It was mentioned in the visitation from 1670. By the end of the 19th century it was unkempt and with no roof. By the commitment of parishioners and parish priest don Stjepan Vinko it was thoroughly renovated in 1983, so on the 21st November, it was blessed by Archbishop Marijan Oblak. Until the construction of new parish church (1899) it has served as a parish church.

The ruin of an early Christian Church of Saint Martin (near Neviđane)

The ruin of the Church of Saint Martin is located about 500 m northwest of Neviđane, to the left of the old road leading from Neviđane to Dobropoljana. This is probably the early Christian church which remained functional during the Middle Ages. The ruin is in the shape of a rectangle (5,70 x7,50 m), on which a deep, semicircular apse continues in space.There are remains of the ancient pottery on the site which might indicate the existence of ancient buildings before the church itself.

The Parish Church of Saint Luke (Ždrelac)

The Church of Saint Luke is the parish church in Ždrelac situated in the city center. It was first mentioned at the end of the 13th century, and it is assumed that it was built much earlier, in the early Christian period. Unfortunately there are no visible early Christian or medieval architectural elements.
It is rectangular and has a quadratic extension of the sacristy. The church has three valuable marble altars. On the main altar, dedicated to Our Lady, a valuable altarpiece has been exposed. The side altars are dedicated to Saint Luke, patron saint of the parish, and to Our Lady of Lourdes, with statues. The statue of Saint Luke holds open Gospel with the Glagolitic alphabet. The picture of Our Lady on the main altar has recently been restored and is very valuable. The interior is also decorated by the statues of Saint Therese of Lisieux and the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Outside the church, there is a stone holy water font. After the First World War, the statue of today's Lady was obtained and in 1937, Girl's society of Our Lady of Lourdes has been established. Since then to the present, the worshippers of Ždrelac parish celebrate the votive day of Our Lady of Lourdes.

The Parish Church of Saints Cosmas and Damian (Banj)

The parish church in Banj, first appears in documents in 1345. It was also built about that time, and blessed later in 1356. It has been reconstructed several times until today, and there are no more visible medieval elements. The church is a single-nave with a sacristy and three marble altars. On the main altar there is a tabernacle and altarpiece of Madonna with Child and parish patrons. Side-altars include the altar of Saint Cross with altar pale and of Our Lady of the Rosary.

The Church of Our Lady of Loreto on Mali Bokolj hill (Banj)

Construction of the little church began with great diligence, hard work and the will of the local residents, according to the idea of don Ante Peroš. It was completed in 1935. According to an old story, Our Lady appeared to him in a dream and therefore he vowed to build a chapel on Bokolj hill. The building site is defined by the foot close to a very beginning of the way of the Cross (set in 2000), which is called the foot of Our Lady found by the fishermen and shepherds while walking on the hill. There are many worshippers who make pilgrimages to the church of Our Lady, called – Our Lady of Bokolj by local residents, climbing from "Our Lady's door" in the foothills, by hill trail on which the Stations of the Cross have been marked, to the Church of Our Lady at the top of the hill. Women used to barefoot as a vow. It is especially celebrated on the 10th of May, on the Feast of Our Lady of Loreto.

The Parish Church of Saint Thomas (Dobropoljana)

First mentioned in one document dating from 1440. It was built thanks to a testamentary donation of one nobleman from Zadar. It was rebuilt later in 1717 and 1867, and expanded in 1741 so there are no more segments of medieval construction. This single-nave building with a sacristy has three marble altars. On the main altar there is a tabernacle and the painting of Our Lady. Side altars are the ones of Our Lady of Carmel along with the statue and the altar of Saint Thomas with altar pale.

The Parish Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Pašman)

Mentioned in the early Middle Ages. According to the historian Bianchi, Zadar citizen Fosco left a property to the church on the third of April, 429. According to the tradition and vicar of the parish church, the first church of Pašman was its present presbytery, blessed on the 7th August in 806 by Saint Donat, the bishop of Zadar. That church was later renovated expanded and that is today's church dating from 1885. It was blessed in honor of the birth of the Blessed Virgin Mary - Our Little Lady by Peter Dujam.
Maupas, the archbishop of Zadar, 9th August 1885 - as evidenced by the inscription on the stone bord near the baptistery. The church has got five altars. On the main, there is an altarpiece representing Slavic apostles, the holy brothers Cyril and Methodius with Our Blessed Lady. On the bottom of the church, there are two altarpieces made as counterparts, oil on canvas. Made by the great artist, a priest Mato Celestin Medović clearly representing the apostolic champions Saints Peter and Paul (142 x 96 cm). The other represents Saint John the Baptist and Saint Simeon with the infant Jesus in his arms (Presentation in the Temple, 147 x 102 cm). The photos were taken in Dubrovnik in 1893/94. On the left side there is also the altar of the Sacred Heart with a plaster statue, and on the right side of the altar, the Immaculate Conception with a plaster statue. The church is painted over the inside walls by biblical motifs coming from the painters Mladen Plečko and Mate Matulić from 1930. The church has several silver-plated "candela" and cortege crosses.
Today, the church has no indications of medieval or earlier performances of construction works.

The Church of Saint Anthony of Padua (Mrljane)

It is not known when it was built, and it was restored in 1874.

The Chapel of Saint Anthony of Padua (Mali Ždrelac)

Used to belong to the last Bishop of Trogir, Anton Panell (passed away in 1821), buried in the chapel. The Holy Mass is being celebrated in the chapel each Saturday during the summer for the residents of Gladuša part.

The prehistoric castle and the Byzantine fortress Pustograd (Tkon)

The castle and fortress Pustograd are located at the southeast end of the island. The castle was built by the Byzantine authorities during the 6th century. The top of the hill is surrounded by a defensive wall in the shape of an irregular circle (85x75 m). On the north side, the foundations of the tower house were preserved, and on the south almost the entire tower house. Inside the ring of walls, there are traces of two buildings, possibly residential buildings and water tank. The fortess did not serve as a military facility, but as a refuge for the local population in times of danger.

The Chapel of Saint Anthony the Hermit

The Chapel of Saint Anthony the Hermit from 1628 is a private property of Ćosić family with one altar.

The Church of Saint Rocco in Mali Pašman

The Church of Saint Rocco in Mali Pašman, simple building dating from 1631 when the plague devastated.

The Church of Saint Mark the Evangelist

The Church of Saint Mark the Evangelist is located in the center of Pašman, near the parish house. It is not known when it was built, and it was rebuilt in 1997.

The Church of Saint Anthony the Hermit

The Church of Saint Anthony the Hermit was built in Tkon by the inheritance of one resident in 1672.

The Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows

The Chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows is located in Tkon on Kalvarija hill.

Where we are?

Zadar archipelago is kept by a large number of islands. Pašman is one of them. It is situated only a few kilometers from the mainland and yet so close to the treasures of Kornati.

 

Pašman bb (p.p. 1)
23262 Pašman
Croatia

+385 (0)23 260 155

info@pasman.hr

 

Pašman Guide App

Back To Top